Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Apologetics and Joel Osteen.

I just finished reading my eleventh Apolegetics lecture titled, 'I am a New Ager." It was quite interesting to say the least.

I really liked the observation that it makes between the New Age movement and some teaching in the church that focus on Positive Thinking and Name it and Claim it doctrines. I was once told by a lady that I worked for, that if I just believed, I'd be healed from my disability. To say that it hit at a vunerable spot is an understament.

This bring s me to Joel Osteen, I have read his book 'Your Best Life Now' it is what my Mother coined as fluff, theological fairy floss. Easy to swallow at first, but you'll end up with a belly ache if you eat too much!! I read it until it talked about how his mother was healed from liver cancer by claiming healing in the power of the Spirit. Joel said that everyone could have healing if they just trusted enough, well my mother died from cancer even though she continued to trust God. I am not saying that God can't do all things, he can, but sometimes his thoughts are not ours.

The reason I think that so many people are caught up in it, is because it is easy! Just believe and you'll have it. In a way it is trying to bend God to our will...except God is to wild and untamable to go along with that. It treats God like a wish granter, I'm sorry people, but I don't want the genie from 'Aladdin' as my God. I want a relationship with the Creator of the universe, one where because of love, God chooses to limit himself and engage with me.

New Ages to their credit, I think, want to find the truth and engage in a deep and meaningful spiritual relationship, they're just not sure who with. This is where Apologists come in! We can introduce them to the true divine Christ, Jesus.
What a privilage!

2 comments:

Ross said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ross said...

It would seem that those Christians treat God as some sort of cosmic vending machine or who believe in positive confession/word- faith doctrine aren't aware of the pagan influence behind these these teachings. Someone once told me that I had to overcome my back trouble rebuking it in the name of Jesus. As I've written elsewhere, I do believe that God can and does heal, but whether or not He chooses to is up to Him.

Scripture reminds us how important it is to choose our words carefully, because carelessly spoken words have the power to build up others or tear them down (eg the Epistle of James), and we we will be judged on our words on Judgement Day, and that's all it means; nothing more.