Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The Seventh Seal...What the?

Because I am a good student, when Glen, my apologetics lecturer, asked me to watch a film called, The Seventh Seal, I did.
Well I must say, it was interesting.
It is well known that Glen is a movie buff, and that his tastes are quite a bit more eclectic and cultured then mine, and unfortunatley, The Seventh Seal, was no eception to this rule.
I struggled to really understand the deeper meanings and subplot of this film and trust me I tried, valiantly, but without much success.

That is not to say that I didn't gain anything from, this off-beat foreign film. Alas, the theme that death comes to all, whether they believe in God, or not came through loud and clear. Also that death is a cheater and does not play fair caught my attention too. An I was saddend by the bad wrap that Christianity recieved, making it out to be santimoanious and dourer, no joy to be found whatsoever. Only hearing and seeing Jesus on the Cross, never hearing about his resurrection, or that he went to the cross because his chose to out of love for us...very one sided.

As I sit and write, the question also comes to mind...why is death always portrayed as bad? Death and grief can be our friends! In western culture we live as though we're never going to die. Which I think is a shame, because it gives the wrong perspective and motive for life. What if we changed our thoughts and said, "I am going to live, to die..." This means that we won't stive to get and gain, but instead, we want to give and love, which is so much better, I think so anyway. There is mercy, healing and a new beginning in death...if we believe in Father, Son and Holy Spirit. If not we have right and wisdom like the Knight in the Seventh Seal, Antonious Block, to fear and ask questions regarding life and especially death, because it will eventually catch up with us all, whether we are ready, or not, no question about it!

1 comment:

Shell Rene said...

Now was this movie better or worse then Picnic at Hanging Rock?